What is Tofu?
Tofu is a soy bean product made by curdling fresh soymilk. Tofu is also known as bean curd or soy cheese, perhaps because it looks like cheese.
Nutritional value of tofu
Soybean or Tofu nutrtion is well studied and appreciated, especially among people keen to avoid meat products. Tofu/soybean is rich in protein, unsaturated fat, and a good source of calcium, iron, phytoestrogens. The protein in tofu or soybean is complete with all the amino acids, which makes soybean protein comparable to animal protein. The fat in tofu or soybean is mostly polyunsaturated fat (54% of the total fat), and monounsaturated fat (23 % of the total fat. Tofu/soybean is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. Tofu or soybean is cholesterol and lactose free. However, tofu is low in dietary fiber.
Health benefits of tofu / soybean
Obviously, the good nutritional content explains for the health benefit from eating tofu or soybean. Below are its potential health benefits:
- May reduce menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes. The phytoestrogens act like a mild form of hormone replacement therapy.
- May help lower blood cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
- May help reduce risk of coronary heard disease.
- May help reduce risk of osteoporosis.
- May protect against various cancers, including those of the breast, colon, prostate and skin.
Samples of easy tofu recipes:
Below are recipes on how to make tofu Marinada and tofu cheesecake:
Tofu Marinade: The ingredients
- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 2 - 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
How to cook tofu cheesecake
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix tofu, cream cheese, sour cream, cornstarch, and sugar with an electric mixer on low until sugar has dissolved.
- Add butter and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Pour the filling into pre-baked crust.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until firm (a knife inserted one inch from the edge will come out clean).
- Chill completely, preferably overnight.
Topping can be added by mixing 3/4 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup powdered sugar and spreading on top of cooled cheesecake. (source: Illinois center for soy foods)
Tofu nutritional facts: list of nutrients and their content
Soy phytoestrogen and osteoporosis in menopausal women
Protein: Health benefit, Digestion, and Deficiency
Food Protein Sources: Animal and Vegetable Sources High or Low in Protein
L-Arginine: Food Sources, Health Benefits and Side Effects